Tuesday, July 30, 2013

July 29: Eureka, Montana

     Early this morning, crossing the road in front of me, I saw the biggest deer I have ever seen in the wild.  It had a big rack but it was running too fast to count the points.  I'm sure any deer hunter has seen a hundred bucks that were bigger than this one, but to a casual wildlife observer like me it was pretty big.  I saw a couple more deer prancing across the road but the biggest thrill of all came a few miles later when I came around a corner and saw the unmistakable tawny yellow form of a mountain lion (my favorite animal, by the way) pop out of the woods on the right and saunter across the road into the woods on the left.  And following closely was a mountain lion cub, or kitten, or whatever you call a baby mountain lion.  They were no more than 40 yards ahead of me.  I stopped to let them get across and proceeded cautiously.  I didn't think they should eat (me) between meals.  I don't think they ever saw me because they sure didn't seem to rush to get across the road.  Later I had a staredown with another deer.
     As I write this, I am now trying to picture what goes on behind me as I ride.  If there are deer and mountain lions who are fearless enough to cross in front of me, just think of all the other animals who waited for me to pass.  Deer gleefully criss-crossing the road, perhaps a mountain lion in pursuit of one of them.  Grizzlies shaking hands with raccoons, porcupines thumbing their noses at me, bighorn sheep and elk dancing on their hind legs, etc.
     Highway 228 on the west side of Lake Koocanusa has been good to me.  In the first two hours I saw more deer than cars--4 to 2.  A cool breeze blew in from the north--the direction I am heading unfortunately--and there were plenty of clouds and a few minutes of rain.  The mountains ahead of me were completely enveloped in dark, rain-drenched clouds.  I made it to Eureka and checked into the Silverado Motel just before the rain, thunder and hail started.



The morning view over Lake Koocanusa

1 comment:

  1. Greg,

    I really don't know if you will be able to read this or not. It's really not a comment per se, more of a conversation with you.

    I've been following your exploits and it seems it's been quite a "ride" so far, pardon the pun. Some crazy things have happened and you've seen some cool shit. You must be in super beautiful country right now (Eureka).

    I do believe that you are entitled to a couple of "mulligans" as far as taking those rides. Aaron and the strangers-no brainer. 18 miles of Spokane traffic-again a wise choice. I for one will never question the purity of your efforts.

    There's nothing wrong with talking to yourself; I find that it helps to keep me focused at times. If tho you start to argue with yourself, like Gollum for example, you might want to pull over and regroup. Ha ha.

    Hang in there dude. I have know doubt in my mind you will ride triumphantly into Hastings, MN one day in August.

    Your friend,
    Bob

    ReplyDelete