Wednesday, August 21, 2013

August 19: Gackle, ND

     Hot and humid.  Until I arrived in Gackle, 65 miles from Hazelton, those three words were going to be my entire post for today.  However, I could not let my stay at The Honey Hub of Gackle--A Cyclist's Respite go unmentioned.  Here is what I wrote in their guestbook:

     I've only been here for 1/2 hour and this is already my favorite North Dakota stop.  It's 94 degrees and I have no idea what the humidity is.  Here I am in relatively luxurious conditions and, I might add, quite unexpectedly.  I saw the sign at the intersection, gave Jason a call, and saved myself having to set up camp, God knows where, in this heat. 
     Laundry, shower, air-conditioning, bed, refrigerator, treats, wi-fi, restaurant advice, couch, restroom--THIS IS THE HILTON HOTEL OF MY ADVENTURE!  Thank you, Millers.

     Basically, this family has opened up their basement for cyclists who are weary from the long distances between towns of any size.  Gackle itself only has about 350 people yet it is the biggest town for 110 miles on Highways 34 and 46.

No comments:

Post a Comment