Sunday, August 25, 2013

August 24: Montevideo, MN

     My brother Dan joined me today.  He will ride with me for three days and then drive back to his home in St. Paul.  He parked his car this morning in Montevideo, then rode his bike to Appleton where we met to ride back to Montevideo.  He absolutely flew the 23 miles to Appleton thanks to the 20 mile per hour thing that I can no longer mention.  When he had to turn around and ride back, he blamed ME for the difference.  "I was doing just fine until I started riding with you," he said.

     I have to admit that the time and the difficulty were alleviated by having somebody to talk to.  I usually prefer to be a loner and go at my own pace and do exactly what I want to do when I want to do it.  But I think we rode well together.
     Scenic highlights were few today.  Highway 7 is known as the Sioux Trail Scenic Byway and it does display a lot of undeveloped native prairie land.  Between Odessa and Appleton, I saw several uninterrupted miles of cattails.  The strangest thing Dan and I saw were two stray cornstalks growing inches from the shoulder of the highway.  Some corn farmer has quite a sense of humor.

No comments:

Post a Comment