Friday, August 23, 2013

August 22: Roy Lake State Park

     I headed straight south out of Lisbon, bound for a new state--South Dakota--because that was what the winds dictated.
     In the last three weeks I have been to some of the world's great capitol cities and financial centers:  Zurich, The Havre, Glasgow, Lisbon and Havana.  I've even been to Harlem, Malta, Nome and the Kremlin.  I never knew they were all in Montana and North Dakota.  You learn a lot about the world on a bike ride.
     I'm happy with my decision to add a small corner of a new state to my itinerary.  The roads were good and Roy Lake State Park is an extremely nice place to camp.  My site is right on the lake, which is a real lake, not a pond or a wetland or a swamp.  It is surprisingly clear and blue and surrounded by trees.  There are a few canoes out there right now and I would like to shout out some advice to the paddlers (but I won't actually do it.)  Here is what I should say:  "Your voice carries a long way on a quiet lake.  You might THINK you are far from shore and nobody will hear your burping and farting and silly jokes, or your intimate conversations, or your trashing somebody you don't like, or your theories on where to find and catch fish.  You would be wrong."

Let's spend a day in a different Dakota.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment