Friday, August 23, 2013

August 21: Lisbon, ND

     A cool front moved in after midnight and the morning was gloriously comfortable.  I made and lingered over a couple of cups of Starbucks French Roast at my campsite.  I didn't want to leave.
     Yet, leave I did and it was my first day off the Adventure Cycling route since Sandpoint, Idaho.  From this point on I will be improvising my route on a daily basis, literally as the wind blows.  The direction of the wind will play a big factor in what direction I will pedal.  Hopefully my plan is successful or I could end up at the point where I will be absolutely REQUIRED to fight terrible headwinds to get home.
     This morning I went south with the wind along the Sheyenne River National Scenic Byway.  I made a short detour to see a State Historic Site, namely, Fort Ransom, an important military site in the 1850's to the 1870's. 
     Did I see a fort?  No, I did not.  What I DID see was an empty field with big white signs indicating where, for example, the captain's quarters, or the enlisted men's barracks, or the stable, or the mess hall once stood.  There wasn't an original log or chunk of wood or stick left.  In the center of all those white signs was a flag pole.  Highly unlikely is the possibility that it was an original artifact.
     Lisbon, population 2,154, was the "North Dakota City of the Year" in 2009.  I probably will never know the reason.  It didn't make much of an impression on me (except for the friendly librarian who allowed me all the time I needed to update my blog.)  I stayed at a dumpy motel in town anyway because I did not feel like riding another 50 miles to the next significant town.  The motel was very inexpensive but it wasn't very clean.

No comments:

Post a Comment