Thursday, August 29, 2013

Postscript

     I have gone back to the beginning of How I Spent My Summer Vacation and am appalled at the number of typographical errors.  I am going to fire my editor and get them corrected.
     As promised, here are some fun facts about my Seattle to Hastings adventure:

It took me 39 days to complete the ride.

According to my big collection of maps, I covered 1,912 miles.  All mileages reported in this blog have been based on my maps since I did not carry an odometer/computer on my bike.  I tried to travel as minimalist as I possibly could and that was something I figured I could do without.  Realistically, I could easily add another 100 miles onto the 1,912 to account for exploring towns, going off-route to campsites, searching for libraries, going to a grocery store or restaurant, making wrong turns and backtracking, etc.

I spent 353 miles and six nights in Washington.  52 miles and one night in Idaho.  826 miles and 17 nights in Montana.  382 miles and nine nights in North Dakota.  55 miles and 1 night in South Dakota.  243 miles and five nights in Minnesota.

My westernmost point was The Puget Sound in Seattle.  My northernmost point was Eureka, Montana which is seven miles from the Canadian border.  My southernmost and easternmost points were my driveway in Hastings.

     I received a lot of support on this trip and now, in Academy Award fashion, I would like to extend some Thank Yous:

     My wife Alice (The Feeshko) who knew this meant the world to me and, being the only person in the world who could have prevented it, gave me the green light.  My son Aaron, who showed me around Seattle via bicycle and then joined me for the first five days of the ride.  My daughter Kaylyne (Kaylo) supported me from day one and took as much pride in my ride as I did.  My mom and dad, Ron and Ann, needlessly worried about me every single day I was on the road and they also expressed their pride in me frequently.  My brother Dan (Dan Garjohnson) got me a great deal on my Surley Long Haul Trucker, assembled it for me, and then rode with me through some tough days near the end.  He checked in on me from time to time and got his whole office to follow my blog.  Actually, I thank my entire family and that includes everybody on my wife's side.  They all gave me support.  My good friend Jeff Wohlberg (J) for texting me all those encouraging messages and inspiring song lyrics.  I also got very nice personal messages from Brian B., Beth B., and Bob S.  I also definitely want to thank everybody who followed, or should I say, endured, my goofy blog and the photos I posted on Facebook--particularly those who commented and/or "liked" the nonsense I wrote.  I know there were many of you.

     With that said, I have now reached my final paragraph.  I am trying to adjust to normal life now.  I experienced and learned so much on this trip.  I met so many nice people.  Most of all, it was FUN.  I think later on today I am going to start planning my next big adventure.

    

1 comment:

  1. You are truly an Iron Man. What you did is an awesome feat. What you wrote was always interesting but often it was wonderful, insightful, poetic, personal. Congratulations!!! I can't wait for your next big adventure.

    ReplyDelete