Saturday, August 17, 2013

August 14: Little Missouri National Grassland

     What can I say about everything that happened today?  How can I convey the perfection of the ride, the scenery, and the choices I made without sounding like a head-in-the-clouds lunatic?  I can't.  When I am done posting today's journal you will all know that I am certifiably delusional--a lost soul living in some kind of dreamland.
     Here are five reasons why my day was close to perfect:

1)  I slept in today knowing that my ride would be less than 20 miles--short enough to be almost like a day off, yet still make a little progress toward home.

2)  When I got up, No Country For Old Men was on the USA Network which helped me to kill a little time at the motel.  The aforementioned film just happens to be one of my four or five all-time favorites.

3)  The wind has shifted.  Today it is primarily coming from the south.  Compared to the last week or so of constant headwinds and constant pedaling--even on the downhills--it felt like I was gliding across the earth effortlessly.

4)  At the tiny town of Sentinal Butte, I made the decision to go off-route onto County Road 1711 North even though it meant a little extra Interstate riding to get to my destination.  I don't believe I have ever enjoyed any three-mile bike ride as much as that little excursion.  The road twisted around numerous buttes and the most pastoral landscape.  Most likely only on a bike could anyone truly appreciate that setting.

5)  My goal, The Buffalo Gap Campground, turned out to be everything I hoped it would be.  It was set among a few shade trees in a land of tall grass, low shrubs, and eroded red and white clay buttes, mesas, and monoliths.  Only two of thiry-seven sites were occupied.  I hiked to the top of one of the buttes and the view was . . . something you would have to see for yourself.  Is it possible to see to infinity?  I watched a couple of dudes drive up in a VW bus.  They climbed the same butte I did.  One of them threw a Frisbee to the north, with the wind, and it must have sailed 500 yards.  At sunset the red clays began to really assert themselves and at night the stars . . .

     Just to show that I DO have some critical judgement, I'll let you in on a little secret.  I didn't like that I could hear the Interstate traffic from the campground.

Add caption

No comments:

Post a Comment