Wednesday, August 28, 2013

August 28: Hastings, MN

     Being that Minneapolis is considered one of the most bike-friendly cities in the U.S., I was able to traverse the city using nothing but paved bicycle trails:  The Luce Line Trail, The Theodore Wirth Memorial Trail, The Midtown Greenway (recently rated the nation's best urban bike route, I liken it to an Interstate Highway, complete with lanes and on and off ramps,) The West River Trail, Minnehaha Falls Park Trail, and Fort Snelling State Park Trail.  Then is was just a hot 20-mile ramble through some familiar back roads.  I tried to slow down to savor the last hour of this unbelievably rewarding journey.  I conjured up a bunch of memories.  There were many.  And then it was done.

     I've been saving the following story for my conclusion.  The setting was a rest area at Mile 118 on Interstate 94 about ten miles from New Salem, North Dakota.  I filled my water bottles there and took a break.  A woman with a young toddler came up to me and asked the usual questions about where I came from, where I was going and why.  After I told her my story she told me that she and her husband were bike riders and they have been talking about riding across the country with their kids when they get old enough.  "For the rest of their lives," she continued, "the kids will know that if they can accomplish something like that, they can accomplish ANYTHING."
     I think THAT is exactly what I learned.

     Tomorrow I will post some fun facts about my ride.  But for now, there are a couple of Surly Furious Ales waiting for me in the refrigerator.  I think I had better go give them the attention they deserve.



This picture commemorates not only the end of the ride, but also the first beard I have ever grown.

No comments:

Post a Comment